Friday, September 19, 2014

Robots

Last year I was inspired by our school's interest in STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, mathematics). I got the idea for these robots from another teacher in my county, Laura Toney at MBES. I took the idea and also introduced the students to Bioengineering (use of concepts and methods of biology). Throughout the project we watched videos of robots and robotic arms.  One of the most innovative is a robotic arm inspired by the mechanics of an elephant's trunk and a gripper made like a fish tail. Then the students  drew their robots using 3D forms and had to have a feature or ability that was inspired by nature.   The painting was quite simple, with a solid gray for the metal with a shade of this for one side and a highlight in white for the other side.  I used Versatemp Pearl colors by Sax that have a metallic sheen.  The colors are also in the pearl paints.  The final step was outlining in Sharpie and learning how to draw the metal plates and bolts.  It was important to add lines and gears to the places that moved or bent.  
My Nanny Bot for my robot twins
                           











No comments:

Post a Comment